A General Description and Some Practical Steps.Remember those old clunky books with phone numbers? Useful but inefficient, often outdated, eventually annoying.Welcome to the Internet Yellow Pages. These online directories offer up-to-date local business listings. Informative. Fast. Free.Let’s assume you’re new in the area and have a horrible tooth ache. So, after taking some pain pills, you sit by your laptop and type “root canal in Louisville Kentucky” in a local search engine (example: Google Local). You then phone one of the dentists that show up in the results. The dentist tells you to stop eating sugar coated ice cubes. The procedure is successful. The world is as it should be. That’s how local search works. In the first quarter of 2007, the new yellow pages grew to over 800,000,000 searches.Naturally, companies are trying to gain the top spots on these directories. Local Search Marketing is the process of pursuing the top spot in these popular listings. Here are a few steps in Local Search Optimization:
- Choose your target keywords.
- Add your business listing to numerous local search engines.
- Infuse a copious quantity of relevant business information into your business listings.
- Modify the categories, descriptions and more to coincide with target keywords.
- Post engaging photos and videos displaying the best of your business.
- Invite customers to post positive reviews of your business.
When you provide these features, the search engines will learn to trust you, to respect you and to uplift your ranking.Once you’ve reached the top, continue to make your listing shine. Update the information, hone the message, add new features. That fortifies your spot on top – and encourages more viewers to dial.